Updated: Jul 2, 2022
Achieve silky smooth icing & sharp edges with SMB!
OK ya'll, I know we've all had the same buttercream struggle. It's hard to find a stable, easy-to-use & good-tasting buttercream all in one recipe. If you've never tried Swiss Meringue Buttercream, it's time. This is my go-to cake frosting (except when doing a vegan cake). It's so easy to make you'll be making it on auto pilot after a few tries.
This recipe will give you a light fluffy and stable buttercream that's not too sweet & everyone will love.
The Best Swiss Meringue Buttercream
1½ Cup granulated sugar
5 Large egg whites separated
4 Sticks of butter (if salted omit salt from the recipe)
1/4 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (I like to add 2 Tbsp)
1. Separate egg whites & place them into a large bowl.
2. Add sugar & whisk together.
3. Double boil over a pot of simmering water (medium heat). To avoid scrambled eggs, make sure water is not making contact with the bowl.
4. Whisk regularly until temperature reaches 160ºF then remove from heat.
5. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk attachment until you achieve stiff glossy peaks.
7. Add pure vanilla extract and slowly add butter (1/4 piece at a time)
(It's important to add all 4 sticks of butter, the 4th stick is what transforms and stabilizes the buttercream)
8. Whip until fully combined & icing is smooth & fluffy (about 1 min)
Check out a quick video tutorial below